Using newspaper databases for research
Newspaper Source Plus provides coverage of major U.S., international, and minority interest newspapers. Also includes full-text coverage of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Wisconsin State Journal, plus selected coverage of other regional sources.
Lexis-Nexis offers access to over 6000 newspapers (including foreign sources), magazines, trade journals, transcripts, company info, business news, legal research, medical sources and reference works. It is especially strong in news, business, and legal information.Includes New York Times full-text.
Newspaper Archive contains access to searchable newspaper pages back to the 1800's.
Links to area papers
- Baraboo News-Republic some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Juneau County Star-Times some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Portage Daily Register some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Reedsburg Times-Press some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Sauk Prairie Eagle some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Wisconsin Dells Events some archived stories, going back to 1997.
- Capital Times: the current day's news, plus some archives going back to 1989 (for fuller coverage see Proquest)
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: the current day's news
- Wisconsin State Journal: the current day's news, plus some archives going back to 1989 (for fuller coverage see Proquest
- WisInfo: current day's articles for the following Wisconsin newspapers - the Appleton Post Crescent, Oshkosh Northwestern, Fond du Lac Reporter, Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter, Sheboygan Press, Stevens Point Journal, Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune, Marshfield News-Herald, and Central Wisconsin Sunday.
- Home Town News - Wisconsin: links to 28 papers around the state.
Major news web sites - current news
- BBC News
- The Boston Globe
- The Chicago Tribune
- Christian Science Monitor
- The Denver Post
- The Los Angeles Times
- The Miami Herald
- The New York Times (requires free registration)
- USA Today
- Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
Alternative news sources
- Academic FreedomLinks - a directory of alternative news sites.
- Alternative Press Center - publisher of the Alternative Press Index, leading guide to the alternative press in the US and around the world.
- Association of Alternative Newsweeklies - links to local alternative weekly newspapers around the US, can narrow by state.
More specific sites
- AlterNet - a syndication service of the alternative press, featuring news stories from alternative newsweeklies, magazines and web publications.
- Indymedia - a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage.
- Counterpunch - political news
- In These Times - the online version of the magazine; covers social, political, and economic issues.
- Mother Jones - the online version of the magazine; focuses on issues of social justice, the environment, politics, and popular culture.
- Open Secrets - from the Center for Responsive Politics, "a non-partisan, non-profit research group based in Washington, D.C. that tracks money in politics, and its effect on elections and public policy."
- Project Censored - covers news stories that are censored in the main stream press.
- The Public Eye - "website of political research associates."
- Red Pepper - "is a magazine of information, campaigning and culture. It provides a forum for the left to debate ideas and action."
- Znet - the online counterpart to Z magazine, "an independent political magazine of critical thinking on political, cultural, social, and economic life in the United States." Includes a Noam Chomsky archive