The University of Wisconsin-Platteville formally dedicated the welcome signs at its new branch campuses in Baraboo and Richland Center Monday, further cementing the partnership that was made official July 1.
The orange and blue exterior signs feature the new “P” logo of UW-Platteville as well as the formal names of the branch campuses, UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County and UW-Richland. They were previously two-year institutions and part of the UW System Colleges.
“This sign is more than just a sign,” Chancellor Dennis J. Shields said. “It is a symbol of our new partnership that pays respect to the past identity of all the students, faculty and staff who matriculated from this campus; that presently strengthens higher education throughout Southwest Wisconsin and beyond; and that points to future successes and growth.”
Branch campus deans Ed Janairo (UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County) and Brandon Fetterly (UW-Platteville Richland) spoke at their respective dedications, as did local and regional dignitaries. Baraboo Mayor Mike Palm and Sauk County Supervisor Marty Krueger spoke in the morning ceremony, while Richland County Board Chair Jeanetta Kirkpatrick and Richland County Campus Foundation Secretary Jean Birkett addressed the afternoon dedication.
In addition, Chancellor Shields and the deans presented “Friends of the University” plaques to thank them for their help during the transition process.
Recognized at UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County were:
· Tom Geimer, Campus Commission member
· Jim Kieffer, Friends of the Campus executive director
· Marty Krueger, Sauk County Board
· Mike Palm, Baraboo mayor
· Jerry Stich, Professor emeritus of music and community band leader since 1969
· Tim Teelin, Friends of the Campus president
· Aural M. Umhoefer, Dean Emerita
· Peter Vedro, Sauk County Board chair
· Phil Wedekind, Campus Commission chair
Receiving recognition at UW-Platteville Richland were:
· Dorsey Ames, Richland County Bank vice president
· Keith and Dottie Behling, Richland Rotary, GRACE
· Jean Birkett, Richland County Campus Foundation secretary
· Floyd and Barb Blackmore, former professor, scholarship supporters
· Corey Davis, Richland County Bak president
· Kathy Granger, Richland County Alumni Association president
· Fred and Ruth Graf, Scholarship representatives
· Jennie Marroquin, Richland County Kinship president
· Rod Perry, Richland Center mayor
· Marilyn Rinehart, Gyneth and Halsey Rinehart Scholarship representative
Chancellor Shields praised the contributions of those honored as well as those on the three campuses who served on the collaborative integration committees.
“We have never lost sight on the main focus, that this is about the students,” he said. “They are at the forefront of all our decisions and will continue to be as we move forward.”
Written by: Paul Erickson, Director, Communications, 608-342-1194, email@example.com