The Holidays are coming up, but times are tough for many families worldwide. Well, now you have an opportunity to help make a child's Christmas spectacular! The campus Christian club, Navigators, is partnering with Samaritan's Purse to help with Operation Christmas Child, and put shoe boxes filled with presents in the hands of children worldwide.
Making a gift shoe box is fun and easy!
- Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required.
- Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Mark the correct age category on a separate slip of paper and attach to the top of your box.
- Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. *See below for some gift ideas. NOTE items not to be included.
- Please donate $7 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online by using the https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/followyourbox/ option on the Samaritan's Purse website which allows you to track your box to its destination country, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
- Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop it off at our collection table in the Commons on Tuesday, November 19 from 11:00am-1:00pm, Thursday or November 21 from 11:00am-12:30pm. If this does not work for you, boxes may be dropped off with Dr. Seals (office- A170) by November 22nd.
If you want to participate but don't have the time, you can donate money, items to be included in a box, or just some shoe boxes, and we will do all the work for you!
Last year we collected over 20 boxes—despite some staffing issues—along with many unboxed items which enabled us to fill several more! Help us make this year even more successful than last year and bring the joy of Christmas to even more children!