Working with the Media
- Campus experts list: If you have an area of interest beyond your field of study and would like to be added to our list of experts, please contact us.
- If a reporter calls you: Let us know! We monitor contacts with the media, and we can also help you prepare for a media interview.
PLEASE NOTE: All media requests for a response on behalf of UW-BSC should be passed along to Marketing & Communications.
- Data and records requests: All media requests for records should be submitted in writing to the Office of Marketing & Communications.
- Have news to share? If you have a story idea that may be of interest to the community, please let us know. We can help you share the news via press release, feature article, and/or social media.
Publications & Promotions
While M&C's primary role is external relations, we also provide support for internal campus events and activities, when possible.
- Creating a publication? M&C offers planning and creative services (writing, editing, photography, and graphic design) on a time-available basis. Contact us for more information.
- Looking to promote an event? M&C also offers communications, social media, and marketing services on a time-available basis. Be sure to check out our Guide to Promotions, below.
Guide to Promotions
Planned promotion is a key to success for any event. With proper notice, UR can help with:
- Campus web announcements. Lead time: 1 week.
- Media coverage. Lead time: 3 weeks.
- Paid advertising. Lead time: 4 weeks.
- Purchasing t-shirts, pens, and other promotional items. Lead time: 4-6 weeks.
- Evaluating your promotions and developing strategies for improvement.
What You Can Do
Ideas for promoting your own event:
- Put it on the events calendar (email@example.com)
- Post it on the monitors (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- E-mail faculty, staff & students (brb-staff, brb-students)
- Send an Outlook invitation
- Post flyers on campus & community bulletin boards
- Chalk the sidewalks
- Make table tents for the cafeteria and common areas
- Use sign posts (contact maintenance, ext. 5259)
- Stuff campus mailboxes
- Ask professors to make in-class announcements
- Create and distribute posters
- Ask local grocery stores to stuff bags with your flyers
- Offer incentives (prizes, extra credit, refreshments) for attendance
After the Event:
- Send thank-you notes
- Assess the effectiveness of your promotions
- Promptly process payment for print or ad services
- Remove outdated postings from bulletin boards
Marketing & Communications Staff
Director of Marketing & Communications
Lisa Renier Thomas
Marketing & Communications Specialist